Bear Harbor Lumber Co. #1 - Specifics
Geared Steam Locomotive Works ©
The locomotive was built on September 15, 1892 by the firm of Marshutz and Cantrell - (National Iron Works) of San Francisco, California. It was recorded as their "Job" number 8100.
It was built for Thomas Pollard and Edward Dodge, owners of the Bear Harbor Lumber Company. It became "Locomotive No. 1" of the Bear Harbor and Eel River Railroad which serviced the lumber company.
Although built in 1892, it was not delivered to Bear Harbor until 1898.
It's purchase price was $2,412.70
The wheel arrangement is 0-4-0.
The locomotive weighs 24,098 pounds, loaded with fuel and water. 19,610 pounds without these.
Fuel used is wood.
The two cylinders have a diameter of 8" with a stroke of 12". They are horizontally mounted, one on either side of the boiler's mid-section and above the frame.
The drive wheels measure 30" in diameter.
The gearing ratio of the drive gear to the gear on the front axle is 1 to 3. The ratio of the drive gear to the large gear that drives the cable spool is 1 to 6.
The wheel base of the locomotive is 9 feet.
The locomotive was last commercially operated by the Anderson Family at the mill site of their Andersonia Lumber Company in Piercy, California. The Family subsequently donated it to the California Department of Parks and Recreation.
It was restored to operating condition in 1979 by the Northern Counties Logging Interpretive Association.
The locomotive is currently stored in operational condition at the Fort Humbolt State Historic Park in Eureka, California.
This page changed January 01, 2013 06:25:23 PM